EFFECTIVE: May 20, 2019
Made It Legal is committed to protecting the privacy of everyone that uses our Services.
Made It Legal offers two kinds of Services. The first is legal self-help made available through either a Pay-as-you-Go Account or Subscription Account (“Legal Self-Help Services”). Legal Self-Help Services include our self-directed legal document creation services that allow you to create, upload, and store documents (“Documents”) you create using our Services to your Account. The second is separate lawyer services offered through a Legal Retainer Agreement agreed to between you and Made It Legal in which legal advice and representation may be given and a solicitor-client relationship is created (“Lawyer Services”).
Personal information we collect
Personal information is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is an individual that can be identified, directly or indirectly, be referenced to an identifier such as: a name, an identification number, specific location data, an online identifier, or other attributes specific to that natural person.
Personal information does not include information that has been anonymized or aggregated in such a way that it can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether on its own or in combination with other information.
The personal information that we collect falls into two broad categories: Account Data and Content.
Account data (“Account Data”) is personal information you provide us, or that we collect from you and your devices in connection with your access to and use of our Services (such as when you provide us information to register for a Pay-as-you-Go Account or Subscription Account, or information we collect about your browser when you connect to our Services). In legal terms, we collect and use this Account Data as a data controller.
There are two general categories of Account Data we collect in order to provide you with the Services.
1. Information you give us
- Account information. You may provide us with information in connection with the creation and management of your account for the Services, such as a name, email address and a password to create a Made It Legal Account.
- Billing information. If you have made a one-time purchase through a Pay-as-you-Go Account or are signed up with a Subscription Account, or if you make another financial transaction using our Services, we (and our third party payment processors) will collect information about the purchase or transaction. This includes billing details and credit card information, other account, and authentication information.
- Other information. You may otherwise choose to provide us with information when you fill in a form, contact our customer support, respond to surveys or use other features of our Services. You may also provide us with other optional information as part of your account profile, including your usernames, avatars, contact information, and links to the social network profiles you authenticate with or add to your Made It Legal profile.
2. Information we automatically collect from your use of the Services
- Log data and usage information. Like most websites, when you view content on or otherwise interact with our Services our servers automatically record information, including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. This log data may include your IP address, the address of the web page you visited before using the Services, your browser type and settings, your device information, the date and time of your use of the Services, information about your browser configuration and plug-ins, language preferences, unique identifiers and cookie data.
- Location information. When you use our Services, we may collect information about your geographic location.
Account Data – How we use it
We use, store, and process Account Data as a data controller to provide, understand, improve and develop our Services, keep our Services safe, and to comply with our legal obligations. More particularly, we use it to:
Identify our users
We use Account Data to identify you when you login to your account.
We use Account Data to enable us to operate the Services and provide them to you, including to:
- enable your access to our Services;
- allow you to communicate with us and with other users;
- verify your transactions, for purchase confirmation, billing, security, and authentication;
- contact you about your account and provide customer service support, including responding to your comments and questions;
- keep you informed about the Services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, and events we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us;
- sell or market Made It Legal products and Services to you.
Improve and optimize our Services
We use Account Data to:
- better understand your needs and the needs of users in the aggregate, diagnose problems, analyze trends, perform analytics, conduct research, and improve the features and usability of the Services, test and troubleshoot new products, and better understand and market to our users;
- analyze our website or the other Services and information about our visitors and users, including research into our user demographics and user behaviour;
- create aggregate (non-identifiable) statistics about users of the Services with a view to introducing improvements and improving usability of the Services.
Keep our Services safe
We use Account Data to verify accounts and activity, maintain the integrity of our Services, and to keep the Services safe and secure.
Account Data – Legal basis for use
Our legal basis for collecting and using Account Data as a data controller will depend on the specific context in which we collect it. However, as a data controller, we will collect personal information from you where:
- we have your consent to do so;
- where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you (e.g. to deliver the Services you have requested); or
- where the processing is in our legitimate interests (and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms).
In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
Where we rely on your consent to process Account Data, you have the right to withdraw or decline your consent at any time. Please note that this does not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
If we ask you to provide Account Data to comply with a legal requirement we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information). Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interest which are not already described in this notice, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
Account Data – Access, control and correction of personal information and certain other important rights
As a user, you may update or correct most of your Account Data by logging in to your account to edit your profile or organization record. To make a request to have Account Data returned to you, removed, or to make additional corrections, please email our privacy team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests to access, correct, or remove your information will be handled within thirty (30) days and may be subject to a fee as permitted by applicable law.
Depending on where you reside, you may have the right to exercise additional rights available to you under applicable laws with regards to the personal information Made It Legal holds about you as a data controller, including:
- Right of erasure: In certain circumstances, you may have a broader right to erasure of personal information that we hold about you – for example, if it is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was originally collected. Please note, however, that we may need to retain certain information for as long as you maintain an Account for our Services, or as needed to provide you with our Services, for record keeping purposes, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce the Terms.
- Right to object to processing: You may have the right to request that Made It Legal stops processing your personal information or to stop sending you marketing communications.
- Right to restrict processing: You may have the right to request that we restrict processing of your personal information in certain circumstances (for example, where you believe that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or unlawfully held).
- Right to data portability: In certain circumstances, you may have the right to be provided with your personal information in a structured, machine readable and commonly used format and to request that we transfer the personal information to another data controller without hindrance.
If you would like to exercise such rights, please contacts us at email@example.com. We will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws. To protect your privacy and security, we may take steps to verify your identity before complying with the request.
You also have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
Content – Made It Legal as a Data Processor
You, as a Made It Legal user, control how Content is generated, requested, submitted or published and processed on our Services. When you use our Services, you may view, create, and analyze Content, including Documents. The Content that flows through our Services may include personal information of all types, including but not limited to the following categories:
- user generated content (such as messages, posts, comments, pages, profiles, images, feeds or communications);
- contact details (such as name, email address, telephone number);
- additional individual information (such as age, gender, employer, profession, geographic location, education information, financial status, habits and preferences);
- information relating to an individual’s real time location.
As the user, you are the data controller of your Content and we are the data processor for such Content. Where we process Content, we do so at your direction and on your behalf in accordance with the instructions you give us through the Services. We may, in limited circumstances process Content for the purposes of improving the Services and functionalities users ask for as part of their Made It Legal experience.
Access, correction, and deletion of Content
Upon receipt of a request from one of our users for us to remove the data, we will respond to their request within thirty (30) days. Please note however that we may need to retain certain information on our systems for as long as you maintain an Account for our Services, for record keeping purposes, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our Terms, or as required or authorized by applicable law. Please refer How Long We Keep Personal Information section below for further detail.
Privacy Information that applies to both Account Data and Content
When we may share personal information
Except as provided in this privacy notice, Made It Legal does not share any personal information gathered via the Services with third parties. We may however share Account Data or Content under the following circumstances:
- with your consent or at your direction;
- where we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or if we are otherwise legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders or legal process, or to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims or demands;
- if we believe it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action against illegal activities, fraud, situations involving potential threats to our rights or property (or to the rights or property of those who use our Services), or to protect the personal safety of any person;
- if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve the security of our Services, abuse of the Services infrastructure, or the Internet in general (such as voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks, or attempts to compromise the security of the Services);
- to a parent company, subsidiaries, joint venture, or other companies under common control with Made It Legal;
How long we keep personal information
We retain your Account Data for as long as necessary to provide the Services you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, or enforcing our Terms.
We retain Content for as long as needed to provide the Services, or until you ask us to delete it pursuant to the Terms. We retain and use this Content as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce the Terms.
Please note that certain personal information may need to be retained by Made It Legal for a period following the cancellation of your account where this is necessary for our legitimate business purposes or required or authorized by applicable law. Our specific retention periods for personal information are documented in our internal retention policies and any applicable retention schedules that we maintain as required by applicable law.
After it is no longer necessary for us to retain your personal information, we will dispose of it in a secure manner, according to our data retention and deletion policies.
How we protect personal information
Made It Legal follows industry practices to protect personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps consider the sensitivity of the Account Data and Content we collect, use, process and store, and the current state of technology.
The Services are mainly provided from our offices in Canada. Made It Legal uses third-party service providers (such as managed hosting providers, card processors, CRM systems, sub-processors of Content and technology partners) to provide the necessary software, networking, infrastructure and other services that we use to operate the Services. These third-party providers may process, or store, personal information on servers outside of Canada and the US.
By using the Services or submitting or collecting any personal information via the Services, you authorize Made It Legal and its authorized service partners to use and process Content and Account Data (including any personal information) in these countries.
Cookies and similar technologies
You may opt out of marketing communications sent by Made It Legal by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each marketing email.
Our Services are not intended for use by children and should only be accessed by individuals of at least 18 years old or the age of majority in their jurisdiction.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Made It Legal is based out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. You can contact our Privacy Officer and team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.